Location: NERC Isotope Geosciences Laboratory, Keyworth and Department of Geology, University of Leicester
Tel: 0115 936 3427
E-mail Professor Randy Parrish
- Present: Head of the NERC Isotope Geosciences Laboratory
- Director of Science Facilities, British Geological Survey
- Joint appointment with the University of Leicester's Department of Geology and NIGL at the BGS 1996
- Himalayan tectonic evolution and Neogene erosion, mainly Bhutan, Tibet, India, Burma
- The measurement of U isotopes in environmental and biological materials (esp. human urine): assessment of exposure to depleted uranium in military conflicts.
- U-Th-Pb geochronology applied to a wide variety of applications using accessory minerals and carbonate, mainly using LA-ICP-MC-MS methods.
- Innovations in chemistry and mass spectrometry in U-Th-Pb dating and other isotopic systems, including plasma multicollector mass spectrometry
- Accessory minerals in metamorphism: reactions, P-T conditions, and isotopic systematics with applications to the Himalaya
- The Neogene rise of the Coast Mountains of western Canada as a contributing cause of Northern Hemisphere Glaciation
- Exhumation of ultra high pressure metamorphic rocks and its chronometry
- Provenance of sediments and dust and applications to Neogene erosion and climate change
- Dating of Quaternary carbonate rocks by high precision U-Pb dating in archaeology, hominid evolution, climate archives
- Development of improved biomarkers for Pb exposure in population epidemiology using biological materials and teeth.
- U-Th-Pb geochronology
- Isotope geochemistry and mass spectrometry
- Tectonics, structure and evolution of the continental crust
- Climate change and tectonics
- N American Cordilleran geology
- Precambrian geology
- Himalayan geology
- Nuclear chemistry and isotope synthesis
- Heavy metal pollution, isotopic studies of metal bioavailability in soils
- Depleted uranium and human exposure
- Environmental isotope geochemistry
- Management of large research groups/facilities
- River capture in the Easternmost Himalaya:Testing erosion-tectonic feedback models using paleo-Brahmaputra deposits of the Bengal Basin, Bangladesh; NERC, 2009–2012
- Dating the "Taung Child" Australopithecus africanus type specimen through U-Pb measurements of associated calcite crystals; NERC, 2010–2012
- Dust storms and Chinese loess sources over the last 22 million years; NERC, 2011–1014
- The origin of short-lived nuclides in the early solar system: implications for the assembly of terrestrial bodies; STFC 2008–2012.
- European EARTHTIME training network
- Other NERC Facility grants dedicated to PhD student projects
- Editor Precambrian Research 2007–onwards
- Editorial Board, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 2009–onwards
- NERC Coordinator for DU research 2008–2009
- Peer Review College of NERC 2009–onwards
- NERC Cosmogenic Isotope Facility Steering Committee 2008–2012
- RAE 2008 Specialist Evaluation Panel for Geochronology (HEFCE)
- Earth Sciences Panel Expert, Norwegian Research Council 2005–present
- NERC Ion Microprobe Facility Steering Committee 2005–2014 (Chair)
- NERC Isotope Geosciences Facilities Steering Committee 1996–present
Foster, G L, Lunt, D J, Parrish, R R. 2010. Mountain uplift and glaciation of North America – A sensitivity study, Climates of the Past, 6, 1–10, 2010. doi:10.5194/cp-6-1-2010
Parrish, R R, Arneson, J, Brewer, T, Chenery, S, Lloyd, N, Carpenter, D. 2008. Depleted uranium contamination by inhalation exposure and its detection after >25 years: implications for health assessment. Science of the Total Environment, Science of the Total Environment v. 390, 58–68; doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2007.09.044.
Chambers, J, Parrish, R R, Argles, T, Harris, N, and Horstwood, M. 2011. A short duration pulse of ductile normal shear on the outer South Tibetan detachment in Bhutan: alternating channel flow and critical taper mechanics of the eastern Himalaya, Tectonics, doi:10.1029/2010TC002784, in press.
Foster, G, Parrish, R R, Horstwood, M S A, Chenery, S, Pyle, J, & Gibson, H D. 2004. The generation of prograde P–T–t points and paths; a textural, compositional, and chronological study of metamorphic monazite. Earth and Planetary Science Letters.
Horstwood, M S A, Parrish, R R, Nowell, G M, & Noble, S R. 2003. Accessory mineral U-Th-Pb geochronology by laser-ablation plasma-ionisation multi-collector mass spectrometry (LA-PIMMS). J. Anal. At. Spectrom., 2003, 18, 837–846.