Head of Geology and Landscape
Tel: 0131 6500320
E-mail Dr Martin Smith
- 2010–present: Head of Geology & Landscape
- 2007–2010: Chief Geologist, Scotland
- 2003–2008: Head of Station for Murchison House, Edinburgh
- 2000–2007: Programme Manager for Scotland and N England
- 1996–2000: Project Leader, Monadhliath Highlands, Scotland
- 1994–1996: Geological advisor and trainer to the Egyptian Geological Survey and Mining Department
- 1992–1994: Survey geologist Scottish Highlands
- 1988–1992: Geothermal geologist, Kenyan Ministry of Energy
- 1988: PhD, University of Wales, Aberystwyth
- 1981: Joined BGS, survey geologist in Wales
- 1981: BSc (Hons), Geology, Aberdeen University
- Laurentian Late Proterozoic basin evolution and Caledonian deformation
- Best practice and methodologies for defining CO2 stores
- Basement reactivation, shear zones and basement - cover relationships
- Geological mapping of basement terranes, shear zones and tectonics
- Geological mapping of ancient and recent volcanoes and rift successions
- Management of complex integrated projects, scientific leadership
Current projects and collaboration
- CCS: Multi-scale whole systems analysis
- Chartered Geologist
- Member of Edinburgh Geological Society
- Fellow of the Geological Society
SMITH, M. 1987. The Tremadoc Thrust zone in southern central Snowdonia. Geological Journal. 22 (Thematic Issue), 119–129.
WILKINSON, I, AND SMITH, M. 1988. Basement fractures in North Wales, their recognition and control on Caledonian deformation. Geological Magazine. 125, 301–306.
SMITH, M, AND MOSLEY, P. 1993. Crustal heterogeneity and basement influence on the development of the Kenya rift, East Africa. Tectonics. 12, 591–606.
SMITH, M. 1994. Stratigraphic and structural constraints on mechanisms of active rifting in the Gregory Rift, Kenya. Tectonophysics (special KRISP volume). 236, 3–22.
STURCHIO, N C, DUNKLEY, P N, AND SMITH, M. 1993. Chronology of Late Quaternary geothermal activity in the northern Kenya Rift Valley. Nature. 362, 233–234.
SMITH, M, ROBERTSON, R AND ROLLIN, K E. 2000 Rift basin architecture and stratigraphical implications for basement-cover relationships in the Neoproterozoic Grampian Group of the Scottish Caledonides. Journal of the Geological Society
. 156, 1163–1173.