The BGS Advisory Committee is the successor to the BGS Board. Its membership is drawn from across the Earth science and business communities nationally and internationally (industry, academia and government). It gives BGS the opportunity to utilise the members' considerable expertise and knowledge of the Earth sciences sector, and consider how BGS can best respond to the sector's needs in the challenging period ahead.
- Professor Paul Younger (Committee Chair) — Rankine Chair of Engineering, University of Glasgow
- Dr Graham Brown — Geological consultant (and former Group Head, Geosciences & Exploration, Anglo-American plc)
- Professor Sarah O’Hara — Professor of Geography and Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Academic Planning, University of Nottingham
- Professor Mercedes Maroto–Valer — Chair in Sustainable Energy Engineering, Heriot-Watt University
- Dr Liz Jolley — Head of Geoscience, BP plc
- Nick Hanigan – Director of Decommissioning and Waste Management, National Nuclear Laboratory
- Peter Hogarth — formerly International Trade Director (East Midlands), UK Trade & Investment
- Dr Katherine Wright — Head of Research, NERC
- Professor David Manning — President of The Geological Society
- Professor Tim Minshull — Chair of the Committee of Heads of University Geoscience Departments (from spring 2015)
- Professor Ian Boyd — Chief Scientific Adviser, Defra
It is intended that the committee will meet twice a year.
The committee will not involve itself with BGS governance issues, although its advice on the direction of travel of BGS with respect to government, research councils and the private sector will be valuable.
For further information on the BGS Advisory Committee, please contact the BGS Executive Support Team.