The BGS Advisory Committee is the successor to the BGS Board. Its membership is drawn from across the Earth science and business communities nationally and internationally (industry, academia and government). It gives BGS the opportunity to utilise the members' considerable expertise and knowledge of the Earth sciences sector, and consider how BGS can best respond to the sector's needs in the challenging period ahead.
- Professor Paul Younger (Committee Chair) — Rankine Chair of Engineering, University of Glasgow
- Graham Brown — Geological Consultant (and former Group Head, Geosciences & Exploration, Anglo-American plc)
- Professor Max Coleman — Principal Scientist and Senior Research Scientist, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Caltech
- Dr Mike Daly — former Executive Vice President (Exploration), BP
- Peter Hogarth — formerly International Trade Director (East Midlands), UK Trade & Investment
- Professor Pamela Kempton — Head of Geology Department, Kansas State University (and former Head of Research, NERC)
- Professor David Manning — President of The Geological Society
- Dave Lovell — Executive Director, Eurogeographics
- Professor Mike Lovell — Chair, Committee of Heads of University Geoscience Departments
- Professor Mary Fowler — Master of Darwin College, University of Cambridge
- Professor Ian Boyd — Chief Scientific Adviser, Defra
It is intended that the committee will meet twice a year.
The committee will not involve itself with BGS governance issues, although its advice on the direction of travel of BGS with respect to government, research councils and the private sector will be valuable.
For further information on the BGS Advisory Committee, please contact the BGS Executive Support Team.